Devotions

Psalm 77

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Gratitudes

"Once again I’ll go over what God has done, lay out on the table the ancient wonders; I’ll ponder all the things you’ve accomplished, and give a long, loving look at your acts."  -   Psalm 77 (from The Message)

I started to call this page of my web site “Devotions” — but the more I thought about this, the more I was reminded that gratitude is the best starting place for my devotion to God. And isn’t that what “devotions” are supposed to do — increase our devotion to God? They are not just to make us feel better and do better, but inspire us to love God with all our heart, soul and mind.

So, on this page you will read “Gratitudes” from me and from some of my dearest friends who are deeply devoted to God.  And, I am so honored and grateful to call them my friends. As we go along, I will introduce them to you and share some of our wonderful stories.

My first Gratitude:

Recently, my husband, Bob, built a “dream play house” for our eleven year-old friend, Frances Grace. She drew her own plans for this house. She and “Uncle Bob” talked about this house throughout her chemo treatments during her second fight with leukemia. He wanted to wait until she was strong enough to help drive a few nails.  So a couple of weekends ago it all came together. Talk about gratitude… just pure joy spilling over for everyone, family, friends, neighbors and mostly my heart.

As I wrote the lyrics to a new praise song, “May Our Praise Pour Over You,” this was my prayer:  gratitude that displays devotion.  True worship is always rooted in gratitude. How can we ever thank God enough for His amazing love poured out on us?

God gives us time. God gives us choices. God gives us grace to walk through “days of delay.” (Kirk Dearman, I borrowed that one from you).  What looks like delay to us is just HIS perfect timing bringing us to be more like Him.  Gratitude is more than just a positive attitude. It is a deep appreciation that is stamped with devotion. Today, I will find many things to be grateful for as I ask of God, like a little child, "What do I get to do with you today, Abba?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

So grateful for comments left by you!